Increasing Appetite

General Discussion

Moderator: Administrator

Increasing Appetite

Postby rja » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:17 pm

What is the best method to increase a hogs appetite in this heat. We have 52 days till the State Fair and I have got one weighing 115 lbs right now.
rja

Postby Jimbob » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:24 pm

If his muscle isn't too tight, you can use Paylean for about 10 days. Stop it when he is cleaning up his feed. Then start again 21-14 days out. If that is not an option for you get a supplement with kelp meal (Tasco) in it. Kelp reduces body temp and does help keep mine on feed during the heat. We also keep misters on during the day.
Jimbob

Postby CSP » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:19 am

Sunglo AppeFUEL stimulates feed intake for show or sale pigs that are not eating due to transport, temperature or other environmental changes.When i want to increase their appetites a bit more i feed them APPE-FUEL.

I use this on my sows as well.
Last edited by CSP on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowboy Showpigs
Throckmorton County
CSP

Postby wst_tex » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:24 am

use milk plus. it's for all livestock pigs you only use 4oz a day. It's workin great for me on a gilt for the west texas fair. 115 is to small for pay. and if you feed paylean for only 10 days then take them off they will gain for those 10 days but when you pull them off of it there done. Milk plus will add mass and increase there appitite.
wst_tex

Postby rja » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:43 pm

I feed milk replacer to all of our hogs. This hog needs way more cover. He is on a 16% protien, 7% fat feed with milk replacer and still no results. I had to stop the milk replacer because he would get to where he was just addicted to that milk replacer and just eat that. So I went to adding wheat germ oil twice a day. He is still on full feed. Do you have any other ideas I can do? Do you think if I go to hand feeding him, he will pick up the pace?
rja

Postby wst_tex » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:26 pm

If you went to hand feeding you could try ensure mixed with his food. It's just so hot out you got to find someway to keep him cool. misters, fans, if you have him in sand you can put a block of ice in the sand and that would help alot. I just got a swamp cooler out of the classifieds for pritty cheap and that makes a world of difference.
wst_tex

Postby sheltonshowpigs » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:18 pm

Your best bet is to try and keep and get him as cool as possible. We use fans & misters. I also will mix cake mix or jello or brownsugar with our barrows feed to entice them to eat. Also try feeding later in the evening when it cools down. All of ours are eating at about 5:30 am and again at about 7:30 to 8 pm but they are hand fed. Good luck to you.
sheltonshowpigs

Return to General Discussion