Beet pulp with molasses or Superoink?

General Discussion

Moderator: Administrator

Beet pulp with molasses or Superoink?

Postby feastorfamine » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:41 pm

We have a Duroc that weighs 237 and a hamp that weighs 200 in the same pen. They are hand fed twice a day, they eat seperately, currently they are eating 5lbs at each feeding. The duroc gets 2 parts crimped oats 2 parts moormans 277, 1 part beet pulp with molasses and 1 scoop of natural stride. The hamp gets 4 parts moormans 277, 1 part beet pulp with molasses and 1 scoop natural stride. The duroc has slowed its weight gain from 2lbs a day to 1lb a day but need more through the ribs and more butt. The hamp is gaining 1 lb a day but needs more pooch through the ribs too, she has a great butt. They were a little stiff so that is why I added the natural stride...seems to be working after only 5 days. I guess my question is should I add paylean and when to the duroc and should I add superoink in place of the beet pulp or just add it??? We have 34 days til show. Our weight limit is 280 with no weigh back. Should I go down to a lower protein higher fat food. Just need more help. They also get exercised 30 min a day. i think i could push 290 leaving the farm and get a 10 lb loss on the trailer ride to the show.
feastorfamine

Postby sheltonshowpigs » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:44 am

If you have 34 days left until show it is a good thing that the duroc has slowed his gain. At 2# a day with 34 days that would put him over 300 when you leave the farm. As for more in the ribs....I would suggest the full tank as it expands more than the beet pulp. I realize that you are feeding moormans but linders makes a feed that is a meal form...686 "shape n guts" that works really well for getting the rib expansion. The paylean as some call it is butt in a bag and if it was me I would add it now. But you will need to make sure that you have plenty of cover on your pigs or supplement fat to keep the cover because the paylean will eat up the excess fat.

Hope this helps and makes sense.
sheltonshowpigs

Postby feastorfamine » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks for your help. How much Paylean do I add for the Duroc? Should I add the Superoink too or just use the 686 and the paylean and full tank.
Should I change the Hamp to the 686 as well or keep her on 277 and add full tank? Or should I use 277 plus Superoink plus full tank. I know this is alot to ask!!! I can send pictures if you like. I appreciate your help greatly. What about the oats that I am using to slow down the Duroc, do I still keep that in the feed? She is gaining 1lb a day now. Just needs butt and what looks like definition. She has pretty good cover I guess. Really I don't know. She is not flabby at all just more fat than the duroc and less butt. They are both gilts.(I don't know if that matters)
feastorfamine

Postby feastorfamine » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:15 pm

Well I just went to our local feed store here in Troy Tx and these are the prices, and needless to say I am a little blown away.
Full Tank 22.00
Explode 30.80
Sumo 50.08
Sup-rrr-oink 66.08

I still have 1 full bag of 277 and 1 unopened bag of crimped oats. If I get all this plus the Lindner 686, which they wont have until next week, I will be down another 150 bucks. Holy smokes!! I think I will check the online prices directly through the web. I will probably bite the bullet
feastorfamine

Postby yorker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:51 pm

WoW! Them Sunglo products are high there! I get my sunglo stuff from Cowboy showpigs and they are no where near that high.
yorker

Postby feastorfamine » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:08 pm

Just got back from the barn and I weighed again....Duroc 250.....Hamp 212. Now I am gettin scared. I added the explode today. Still waiting on the lidner feed to get here. I am afraid the duroc will gain too much on the 686, the hamp will be okay. 34 days to show. I cut the 277 back on the duroc and added 4 ounces of explode to each pig. I that the correct amount? This is what the feed store recommended. They will get the explode twice a day so that will be 8 oz a day total.
feastorfamine

Postby Jimbob » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:14 pm

Wait just a minute.....The 686 is best used in conjunction with another feed. If you go soely to the 686 your pig will round out...not good! Personnaly we feed alot of durocs. The last 30 days (on most of them) We'll be feeding 2 of 611, 1 686, 1 beet pulp, 1 cup suproink and paylean. The 611 is 23% protien, the 686 is only 14% which will bring the total back down to 20%. I think the 692 from moormans should be close to the 611....Weight might be your worst enemy now I personally would wait till 20 days out in this case to start the paylean cause if you bust the wieght to early and have to hold the week before the show it was all for not. That being said you can pull 20 or so pounds off the nite before......As for the full tank..you should pick one meaning full tank or 686 got to leave room in the feed pan for feed.
Jimbob

Postby judging mom » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:08 pm

The Lindners 611 will be better if your show drug tests. The 292 has a withdrawal and will test.
judging mom

Postby feastorfamine » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:24 am

This is how I started......Moormans 272 in self feeder until Nov 10, then I changed to 277 Dec.1. Dec 15 I took them off the self feeder and started hand feeding. That was at weights of Duroc 197 and Hamp 179. It was working to slow the Duroc and the Hamp. The duroc had slowed from her usual 2.2 lbs a day to 1lb a day. The Hamp slowed from about 1.8lbs a day to 1lb a day. When I took them off the self feeder, I was hand feeding the duroc 2lbs of oats,2lbs of 277 and the hamp 4 lbs of 277. That was working for a while. Jan. 1 I added one big scoop twice a day of Natural Stride. Then the guy from the feed store came by and looked at the pigs....Jan. 3 and told me I needed to add beet pulp or full tank for some expansion in the ribs. He told me the Duroc needed more butt and the hamp looked great just needed more expansion in the ribs too. So I added beet pulp (cheaper than full tank) to the food at a rate of one lb twice a day to both pigs. I weighed on Jan 1, and they weighed duroc 237 and 200. Then Jan 6 I weighed again because they looked like they blew up, and they weighed 250 and 212. So, I thought maybe I am feeding too much so I weighed what I was feeding and it weighed 5lbs for the duroc and 4.5 lbs for the hamp......I was giving this twice a day. No wonder they started gaining again....I guess it takes awhile after you take them off the self feeder before they start to gain again. I don't know. This is what i have done as of yesterday. I went to TSC and got a milk replacement that is 24% fat,23%protein. Much cheaper, too...$34 versus $66 a bag sup-rr-oink. Same stuff pretty much, looked like to me anyway. I have stopped the paylean(only gave it for 2 whole days) dropped the food to Duroc : half a lb of 277, half a lb of oats, half a lb of beet pulp, 1 scoop of natural stride, and 1/2 lb of milk replcment(fat). Hamp gets 1lb of 277, no oats, 1/2 lb beet pulp, 1 scoop natural stride and 1 lb of milk replacement (fat) both pigs get this amount now twice a day. The hamp is stiff or something, when she walks she kicks her back legs out a little and then when she stops and puts her head down her back left leg does this little dance sometimes, like a little circle and then she puts it back down. I have been walking her more, she gets about an hour a day. I will see what happens feeding them like this....I guess I am trying to add a little fat now so I can paylean the fool outta them 10-20 days prior to show.
At least that is what more than one person has told me . I personally think they look great right now. We showed in a Jackpot show Dec 13th and both the pigs got 2nd. I do agree that the duroc needs more butt. I am more worried about the hamps leg now. I think I am too involved in these pigs....my husband calls me the pig whisperer. HA! I never showed pigs when I was a kid, just heifers. I have been trying to talk my daughter into that but now I have learned so much about pigs over the last 2 years that I hope she stays with the pigs, I don't know if I can afford both. Anyway all the help that I have gotten from this board is GREAT!!! Thank you soooooo much. I think I am addicted to pig! This is fun. My daughter has really enjoyed reading what yall write. Such a learning experience this all is.
feastorfamine

Return to General Discussion