not gaining weight

General Discussion

Moderator: Administrator

not gaining weight

Postby dandrduke » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:14 am

There is a pig that is 228 the weigh in for show is in 8 days and you have to be at least 230 she has gained only 11 pounds in 14 days her back legs are not good I think she is in a little pain have already gave her shots for that about 3 weeks ago. She takes a long time to get up so she just sits there and eats with the bowl in front of her and won't eat that much. I have tried the jello, pudding, treats marshmellow and so on I don't want to give up on the pig and i'm not she is a good looking pig what can I do to get her to gain weight and fast? She is going to loose some going to show and that concerns me also any suggestions PLEASE Thanks for all yalls help. :idea:
dandrduke

Postby feastorfamine » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:04 pm

i will come out and see her after church. call me tomorrow morning, I get up about 6. i bet we can figure out what is wrong with her.
feastorfamine

Postby sheltonshowpigs » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:44 pm

I know you said you have tried the jello and etc...But if you haven't tried it you might try the egg diet or pig cocktail as some call it...

Good luck to you
sheltonshowpigs

Postby feastorfamine » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:45 pm

well i went out there.....this pig is BAD. It can barely walk. When it goes to get up it's front legs are really close together and it just acts like the front legs are killing her, then after a min or two the front legs widen up and she walks better (this hog is unusually wide in the front...HUGE spread) then she just sits back down on her butt and might eat a few bites then hobbles back over by the water and lays back down. Definitely something bad wrong here. Any ideas? What usually goes wrong in the front? She is not "skinny" she weighs 228 but at this rate she will not be making the county show check in sunday.
feastorfamine

Postby lsg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:55 am

What exactly are yall feeding it? You know, now a days there are so many feed additives available on the market that we tend to push the hogs too hard and too fast. We either push them with the fat or the paylean. I know this because I had a hog that would just sit on his butt and could not hardly walk. When he would get up he would have muscle spasms in his rear wheels and could not bend them very well. I put the hog on a cheap sow feed ration 14% and took all the other feed additives away from him and he straightened up and started walking better in 2 weeks and placed 2nd at county. Just a thought!!!
lsg

Postby feastorfamine » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:49 am

hey dandrduke
tell him what that pig was gettin because I don't know.
feastorfamine

not gaining weight

Postby dandrduke » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:13 am

It has been getting mormann's 16% with payleen, moore fat, and beet pulps
dandrduke

Postby 4hdad » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:01 pm

I would get it off the paylene and get some linders 686 shape and guts and mix in with feed and beetpulp and try cake mix. Just my 2 cents worth not alot but what i have done this year and the past.
KEEP ON KEEP'N ON!
4hdad

try this

Postby HogKong » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:54 pm

try about 1500 miligrams per feeding of aspirin. the cheap stuff from the dollar store..pull off the paylean.check for constipation..possible enima..then try a vet if that aint it..how much paylean and how often is it getting it?paylean will wreak havooc on the joints in some pigs. cause tightness and brakdown. add some baking soda(1-3 tbl spoons) per feeding as well. try the vet and get something to sooth the joints..but it really seems like she is constipated..you can also try half a bottle of karo dark syrup in her feed for 2 feedings and see how she does. that will loosen up her bowels and see if she cant get movin.
HogKong

Postby jlo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:06 pm

there is an article in the most recent Purple Circle regarding stomach ulcers, had a pig that had the signs, breeder told me how to treat it, it was the same as in the article, within 3 days the pig is eating again.
jlo

montgomery county show not going to wt enough!!! HELP!!!

Postby flowersof11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:52 pm

HELLO ALL I AM NEW TO THIS SITE MY DAUGHTERS PIG WT.ED 120 ON JANUARY 31 AND WONT FINISH ALL FEED NOW FOR THE LAST 3 DAYS OR SO I AM FEEDING 16% MOORMANS, FULL TANK, OXYGEN, AND MOOREFAT AND ALL KINDS OF TABLE FOOD TO MIX TO TRY TO MAKE HIM EAT IT ALL I NEED HELP WE HAVE ABOUT 30 DAYS TILL CHECK IN AND I DONT THINK HE WILL MAKE IT WITH WHAT WE ARE DOING NOW PLEASE HELP I USED TO SHOW PIGS 15 YEARS AGO AND THIS IS MY DAUGHTERS FIRST TIME IT WOULD BREAK HER HEART IF SHE COULDNT SHOW!!!!!!!! :( :( :( :(
flowersof11

Postby Chorizo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:06 pm

jlo wrote:there is an article in the most recent Purple Circle regarding stomach ulcers, had a pig that had the signs, breeder told me how to treat it, it was the same as in the article, within 3 days the pig is eating again.

What are the signs and how do you treat?
Chorizo

Re: montgomery county show not going to wt enough!!! HELP!!!

Postby Chorizo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:25 pm

flowersof11 wrote:HELLO ALL I AM NEW TO THIS SITE MY DAUGHTERS PIG WT.ED 120 ON JANUARY 31 AND WONT FINISH ALL FEED NOW FOR THE LAST 3 DAYS OR SO I AM FEEDING 16% MOORMANS, FULL TANK, OXYGEN, AND MOOREFAT AND ALL KINDS OF TABLE FOOD TO MIX TO TRY TO MAKE HIM EAT IT ALL I NEED HELP WE HAVE ABOUT 30 DAYS TILL CHECK IN AND I DONT THINK HE WILL MAKE IT WITH WHAT WE ARE DOING NOW PLEASE HELP I USED TO SHOW PIGS 15 YEARS AGO AND THIS IS MY DAUGHTERS FIRST TIME IT WOULD BREAK HER HEART IF SHE COULDNT SHOW!!!!!!!! :( :( :( :(

What does the pig weigh now and what is the minimum weight limit? Has it been dewormed lately?

If you don't get help on here there are other show pig message boards that have more activity on them that you might want to try. I'd post a link to one show pig board in particular for you to try but that may be against the rules here so I better not. Good luck with your daughter's show pig. :wink:
Chorizo

Postby jlo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:08 pm

the signs of an ulcer was the pig was not eating, no fever, no cough. The pig would smell the feed and walk away sfter licking it. The article also said some pigs sit like dogs and do not want to get up, ours was not that bad. Gave it a shot of LA 200, 300mg ofr tagumet twice a day, and some other pills the vet gave me twice a day. gave the pills for 10 days. after the first two days of disolving the pills in a syringe and shooting down her throat, she started eating, I then boosted her appetite with sullivens appetite express. she is eating fine now(knock on wood) Lots of calls to breeder and his help was a big reason for getting over it.
jlo

not gaining weight help!

Postby Swinschel95 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm having the same sort of problem with my two Hamps. I'm wanting my pigs to put on a good weight, but still look bareled in the stomach. Last year at Bell County & Killeen Show, my pigs didn't do very good, the only thing holding me back was the judges wanted pigs that were barreled & wide. I need some help!! I've been feeding my pigs Linder 632 pig feed & cake mix. Any suggestions on what I should change?
Swinschel95

Next

Return to General Discussion