Feeding one pig

General Discussion

Moderator: Administrator

Feeding one pig

Postby nan2 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:10 pm

We usually have two pigs, but this year we bought one...he seems to be doing okay....we got him last Sunday....yesterday he had perked up and was running around playing....he has been eating since we got him...not a lot but enough....also is starting to drink a lot more....I know even with two it takes them a few days to settle in...I would like to know if anyone has just fed one pig or do you think I need to get a feeder pig or goat to keep him company in the pen next door....I am a little leary about getting a feeder pig because of disease spreading not knowing if they have had shots....let me know what you think....if I need a companion for him or not.
nan2

Feeder

Postby Pig Dad » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:14 pm

We tried a single our very first year. Within a couple of weeks, we had to get a feeder pig for company. Immediately increased feed intake and seemed happier.
Pig Dad

Postby lewisshowpigs » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:00 am

I know that this is a late post on the topic, we have just had one pig in the past....we always bought rubber balls or even a bowling ball. You would be amazed at how they like to play with them.
lewisshowpigs

Feed a single pig

Postby showpig » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:46 am

Take out the self feeder and hand feed him twice a day. Only feed him an amount that he will clean up in one feeding. Example, at this age, start him with 2 to 3 pounds (you will have to weigh the feed) each feeding. If he is licking the pan clean each time, add 1/2 pound each feeding until he begins to leave a bit in the pan, then you know how much he needs. Single pigs will get lazy and not go to a self feeder (because they know it will always be there). When you let them get a little hungry between feedings, they will normally clean up their food, unless they are getting sick. They will never eat or grow as fast on a self feeder as they will by hand feeding them. Unless, of course, you purchase another pig to provide competition at the self feeder. So, either spend more money on a second pig or put more effort into the one you have. By hand feeding the one, you can also add supplements/wormers and reduce his food intake, depending on how fast he is appoaching maximum weight for your show. Supplements are so expensive these days, it doesn't make sense to have to feed an extra pig that you don't intend to show. This comes from many, many years of raising show pigs...hope this helps you!
showpig

Return to General Discussion